Monday, April 27, 2009

Family Prayer

Each night before the kids go to bed we have our family prayers. Since Payton was a little baby we have made it part of our routine to sing songs, and then say prayer. As the family has grown the routine surprisingly has stuck. This is how each evening goes: MOM and DAD: Ok, Jaxon what song do you want to sing? Jaxon: Uhhhhhh BATMAN!!!! Everyeone: na na na na na na na BATMAAAAAAN!!! MOM and DAD: Ok, Payton it is your turn, what song do you want to sing? Payton: Well.... princess! EVERYONE: (and we sing little mermaid) MOM and DAD: Ok, lets get on our knees and have prayers. Jaxon: My turn, my turn. Payton: NOOOOO its my turn, first. Jaxon:No my turn fut.( my turn first) MOM and DAD: Ok Jaxon tonight you go first and then Payton will have a turn Jaxon: KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYY Jaxon: He FA (Heavenly Father) doo doo doo dood doo doo AAAAAMEEEEEN!! EVERYONE:A MEN! Payton: K, its my turn. Payton: Heavenly Father, grateful for this day, had a good day........ (and 10 minutes later and everything that happened to her during the day and saying that she loves every person she can think of always always including Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, Joseph SMith and "Who is again MOM?" President Monson) In the name of Jesus Christ, AMEN. Everyone: AMEN! Payton: K Asthon, its your turn. Ashty, can you fold your arms. Ashton: (while folding his arms )luka luka luka luka (rolling his tongue in jibberish) Now... we do have some variation each night, but... this is pretty darn close to what happens every night. Payton told us the othe day that she was such a good Sister teacher, because she taught Ashton how to fold his arms and say his prayers. Last night Payton would not go to sleep, I went in I don't even know how many times. The last time I went in I was getting frustrated and I asked her why she was calling me. She said "Because I'm scared of the dark." ( 7:00pm sun is bright as it was mid day) So I explained to her that if she is scared and alone she needs to say a prayer to Heavenly Father to help her not feel so scared. We had a little discussion about it and I left the room. 5 minutes later she is calling me again. AAHHHHHHHH!!! I walked in and said "What?" She said "Mom, I prayed to Heavenly Father and he Loves Me." If only we each felt that assurance and confidence in our Heavenly Father's love so quickly! She is such a sweet little girl, and a wonderful example to her brothers. I love that little kids are always so willing to say prayers. She is on a kick right now of talking about the HOLY GHOST!!! Pretty interesting listening to some of the things that she has to say.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

you know laura finklea...its funny that your little girlie just made it so I can go to bed. I am up having an anxiety attack about food storage & emergency supplies in case this swine flu blows up. (you know me i worry about EVERYTHING!!) Thats so beautiful that payt said a prayer & felt her heavnely fathers love. I am gonna go ahead & just do the same. Thanks for the reminder!give that sweet girl a kiss in the AM for helping me out. (ps: I could totally hear the kids voices in my head while reading the dialogue. soooo funny! nanananana batman!

Tyson & Rebecca Sloan (Mr. Incredible & his sweetheart) said...

So sweet!!!! I remember feeling Heavenly Father so close at that age. He could 'fix' anything as far as emotions go. Your fam is so cute!