Monday, October 19, 2009

Payton is Southern!!!

Last week as we were walking home from picking Payton up from school, Payton and I were having a conversation. I asked if her homework packet was in her school bag and she replied with this. "No Mom, it AIN'T in my bag." OHHHHHHHHHH MY GOSH!!!! I FLIPPED!!! She probably thought she said a bad word because I stuck my finger in her face and said "You don't ever say that word. That is not a word!" Hopefully my message was loud and clear after me in her face for 5 minutes enforcing that saying that was soooooooo wrong. Well this morning she got out of the car walking into the school and she turned around and said "Mom, I won't say ain't, it isn't a word." The influence of the southern accent and lingo is so strong especially now that she is in school. She comes home and says her alphabet exactly how her teacher pronounces it. Once I started thinking about it, when I moved to Australia, I too quickly picked up on the Aussie accent and lingo. I guess that is what happens when you live somewhere long enough. We have gotten some good laughs out of it though, that is for sure!

2 comments:

The Holler Hinckleys said...

She is catchin' on so well... Ya'll will just have to leave her here with us, if yuns' ever leave us Hillbillies!!!!!

Mandy A. said...

Sandy says... If ya waller with the pigs, your gonna get dirty!!! HA,HA,HA!!!